The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 4.85% or 6.69 points to trade at 144.49 at the close. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) added 4.75% or 2.60 points to end at 57.38 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 3.60% or 1.82 points to 52.31 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 1.98% or 1.72 points to trade at 84.94 in late trade. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) declined 1.40% or 2.76 points to end at 193.94 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 1.01% or 0.48 points to 47.03.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Qorvo Inc (NASDAQ: QRVO ) which rose 20.23% to 97.22, Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which was up 10.51% to settle at 90.13 and Apache Corporation (NYSE: APA ) which gained 9.93% to close at 23.81.
The worst performers were Arista Networks (NYSE: ANET ) which was down 24.23% to 185.30 in late trade, Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (NASDAQ: TTWO ) which lost 2.87% to settle at 116.90 and IDEXX Laboratories Inc (NASDAQ: IDXX ) which was down 2.86% to 276.87 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Hoth Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: HOTH ) which rose 39.00% to 4.74, CHF Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: CHFS ) which was up 39.13% to settle at 1.280 and BeiGene Ltd (NASDAQ: BGNE ) which gained 37.02% to close at 189.56.
The worst performers were Casa Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CASA ) which was down 36.01% to 4.30 in late trade, Hexindai Inc (NASDAQ: HX ) which lost 32.67% to settle at 0.67 and MobileIron Inc (NASDAQ: MOBL ) which was down 24.36% to 4.735 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2094 to 756 and 84 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1963 rose and 686 declined, while 60 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.96% to 12.30 a new 3-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.12% or 1.85 to $1516.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December rose 3.67% or 1.99 to hit $56.17 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 3.37% or 2.01 to trade at $61.63 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.15% to 1.1167, while USD/JPY rose 0.15% to 108.19.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.14% at 97.018.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.