The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which rose 2.38% or 4.44 points to trade at 190.70 at the close. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) added 2.15% or 2.39 points to end at 113.78 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) was up 2.14% or 1.93 points to 92.02 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 0.65% or 1.02 points to trade at 156.15 in late trade. United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) declined 0.24% or 0.25 points to end at 105.76 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) gained 0.44% or 0.30 points to 68.94.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which rose 3.37% to 31.93, Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) which was up 3.33% to settle at 135.20 and Lockheed Martin Corporation (NYSE: LMT ) which gained 3.25% to close at 259.79.
The worst performers were Discovery Communications C Inc (NASDAQ: DISCK ) which was down 3.46% to 22.90 in late trade, Discovery Inc Class A (NASDAQ: DISCA ) which lost 3.01% to settle at 24.78 and Newell Brands Inc (NASDAQ: NWL ) which was down 2.70% to 18.40 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were BioXcel Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BTAI ) which rose 80.91% to 4.36, Energous Co (NASDAQ: WATT ) which was up 53.71% to settle at 7.04 and Avadel Pharmaceuticals PLC (NASDAQ: AVDL ) which gained 40.80% to close at 2.45.
The worst performers were Estre USA Inc Class A (NASDAQ: ESTR ) which was down 41.62% to 1.08 in late trade, Draper Oakwood Technology Acquisition Inc Class A (NASDAQ: RBZ ) which lost 39.60% to settle at 1.80 and Sypris Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: SYPR ) which was down 27.45% to 0.7052 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1678 to 1385 and 89 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1343 fell and 1293 advanced, while 79 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.48% to 29.96.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.61% or 7.70 to $1277.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 2.08% or 0.97 to hit $45.64 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 2.62% or 1.45 to trade at $53.84 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.75% to 1.1438, while USD/JPY fell 0.28% to 111.06.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.53% at 96.070.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.