The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which rose 2.99% or 4.69 points to trade at 161.53 at the close. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) added 2.60% or 1.13 points to end at 44.51 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 2.41% or 1.19 points to 50.48 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which added 0.02% or 0.02 points to trade at 115.78 in late trade. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) added 0.09% or 0.19 points to end at 218.46 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) gained 0.25% or 0.28 points to 112.97.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) which rose 9.68% to 8.79, NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which was up 7.25% to settle at 159.56 and Westinghouse Air Brake Technologies Corp (NYSE: WAB ) which gained 6.90% to close at 66.610.
The worst performers were Alliance Data Systems Corp (NYSE: ADS ) which was down 9.06% to 138.69 in late trade, TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which lost 1.20% to settle at 37.99 and Applied Materials Inc (NASDAQ: AMAT ) which was down 1.12% to 46.63 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Plus Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PSTV ) which rose 272.16% to 14.4400, Solid Biosciences LLC (NASDAQ: SLDB ) which was up 43.25% to settle at 8.81 and Organogenesis Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: ORGO ) which gained 29.13% to close at 4.610.
The worst performers were OptimumBank Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: OPHC ) which was down 35.76% to 2.120 in late trade, SAExploration Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which lost 31.69% to settle at 2.220 and Yangtze River Port and Logistics Ltd (NASDAQ: YRIV ) which was down 25.67% to 0.60 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2366 to 628 and 24 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2124 rose and 568 declined, while 62 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 12.80% to 18.47.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.48% or 7.40 to $1523.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 0.83% or 0.45 to hit $54.92 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 0.79% or 0.46 to trade at $58.69 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.14% to 1.1091, while USD/JPY rose 0.25% to 106.38.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 98.062.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.