The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 4.92% or 2.21 points to trade at 47.13 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 4.65% or 5.71 points to end at 128.40 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) was up 3.80% or 5.79 points to 158.10 in late trade.
Biggest losers included McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which lost 1.29% or 2.74 points to trade at 209.02 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 0.74% or 1.66 points to end at 222.07 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 0.70% or 0.85 points to 121.09.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Fastenal Company (NASDAQ: FAST ) which rose 17.15% to 36.34, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which was up 7.18% to settle at 9.55 and Mosaic Co (NYSE: MOS ) which gained 7.14% to close at 20.72.
The worst performers were Edison International (NYSE: EIX ) which was down 3.85% to 71.33 in late trade, Newmont Goldcorp Corp (NYSE: NEM ) which lost 3.39% to settle at 37.62 and MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which was down 3.04% to 348.19 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Synthesis Energy Systems Inc (NASDAQ: SES ) which rose 191.67% to 5.2500, Titan Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: TTNP ) which was up 34.29% to settle at 0.4300 and Trevi Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TRVI ) which gained 34.04% to close at 4.45.
The worst performers were Auris Medical Holding Ltd (NASDAQ: EARS ) which was down 15.77% to 2.190 in late trade, Yandex NV (NASDAQ: YNDX ) which lost 15.66% to settle at 29.99 and Luokung Technology Corp (NASDAQ: LKCO ) which was down 15.16% to 3.470 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2176 to 707 and 61 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2010 rose and 636 declined, while 68 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 11.48% to 15.58.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.50% or 7.50 to $1493.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 2.48% or 1.33 to hit $54.88 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 2.64% or 1.56 to trade at $60.66 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.30% to 1.1037, while USD/JPY rose 0.42% to 108.42.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.37% at 98.045.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.