The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ), which rose 3.93% or 3.08 points to trade at 81.50 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 3.11% or 3.77 points to end at 125.16 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 2.28% or 2.42 points to 108.35 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which lost 0.28% or 0.12 points to trade at 42.85 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 0.21% or 0.40 points to end at 187.50 and General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) shed 0.07% or 0.01 points to 14.17.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Monster Beverage 1990 Corp (NASDAQ: MNST ) which rose 5.42% to 51.96, Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which was up 5.37% to settle at 4.510 and Newfield Exploration Company (NYSE: NFX ) which gained 5.34% to close at 29.39.
The worst performers were Michael Kors Holdings Limited (NYSE: KORS ) which was down 11.45% to 60.41 in late trade, CBOE Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: CBOE ) which lost 2.91% to settle at 99.02 and Discovery Communications C Inc (NASDAQ: DISCK ) which was down 2.30% to 19.94 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Radio One Inc (NASDAQ: UONE ) which rose 78.38% to 3.300, Sigma Labs Inc (NASDAQ: SGLB ) which was up 48.11% to settle at 1.955 and Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which gained 41.47% to close at 0.646.
The worst performers were Daktronics Inc (NASDAQ: DAKT ) which was down 18.56% to 8.19 in late trade, Akers Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: AKER ) which lost 16.51% to settle at 0.326 and Top Ships Inc (NASDAQ: TOPS ) which was down 14.56% to 0.8800 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2437 to 649 and 101 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1685 rose and 848 declined, while 134 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 11.75% to 15.02.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.18% or 2.30 to $1301.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 2.47% or 1.65 to hit $68.38 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 3.13% or 2.36 to trade at $77.85 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 1.12% to 1.1665, while USD/JPY rose 0.12% to 108.90.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.79% at 94.06.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.