The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 3.51% or 4.76 points to trade at 140.25 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 3.37% or 3.41 points to end at 104.64 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) was up 3.34% or 4.30 points to 133.19 in late trade.
Biggest losers included McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which lost 0.80% or 1.51 points to trade at 188.39 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 0.70% or 1.72 points to end at 245.54 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.58% or 0.81 points to 138.98.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which rose 8.40% to 129.34, IPG Photonics Corporation (NASDAQ: IPGP ) which was up 6.79% to settle at 162.09 and BorgWarner Inc (NYSE: BWA ) which gained 5.49% to close at 40.52.
The worst performers were Monster Beverage Corp (NASDAQ: MNST ) which was down 2.38% to 53.28 in late trade, Kellogg Company (NYSE: K ) which lost 2.37% to settle at 56.02 and American Tower Corp (NYSE: AMT ) which was down 2.31% to 192.51 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Pulmatrix Inc (NASDAQ: PULM ) which rose 81.89% to 2.310, CM Seven Star Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: CMSS ) which was up 41.45% to settle at 10.34 and AVEO Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: AVEO ) which gained 35.35% to close at 1.1100.
The worst performers were Comscore Inc (NASDAQ: SCOR ) which was down 29.68% to 14.24 in late trade, Adomani Inc (NASDAQ: ADOM ) which lost 16.27% to settle at 0.32 and Sears Hometown and Outlet Stores (NASDAQ: SHOS ) which was down 13.18% to 1.91 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2262 to 761 and 75 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1764 rose and 875 declined, while 82 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.26% to 13.40.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.49% or 6.30 to $1292.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 2.71% or 1.63 to hit $61.77 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $69.19 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.10% to 1.1200, while USD/JPY rose 0.03% to 111.37.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.03% at 96.817.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.