The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which rose 3.41% or 4.65 points to trade at 140.97 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 3.27% or 3.89 points to end at 122.99 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 2.64% or 5.32 points to 207.05 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ), which lost 1.17% or 0.65 points to trade at 55.12 in late trade. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 0.41% or 0.47 points to end at 115.44 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 0.37% or 0.45 points to 122.76.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Tapestry Inc (NYSE: TPR ) which rose 8.36% to 22.92, IPG Photonics Corporation (NASDAQ: IPGP ) which was up 7.76% to settle at 134.37 and Capri Holdings Ltd (NYSE: CPRI ) which gained 6.95% to close at 28.30.
The worst performers were Newmont Goldcorp Corp (NYSE: NEM ) which was down 4.10% to 39.34 in late trade, Concho Resources Inc (NYSE: CXO ) which lost 3.58% to settle at 70.36 and Church & Dwight Company Inc (NYSE: CHD ) which was down 3.35% to 77.50 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Stellar Biotechnologies Inc (NASDAQ: EDSA ) which rose 45.13% to 5.980, Modern Media Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: MMDM ) which was up 41.27% to settle at 8.94 and Ascena Retail Group Inc (NASDAQ: ASNA ) which gained 36.68% to close at 0.28.
The worst performers were TeleNav Inc (NASDAQ: TNAV ) which was down 44.80% to 5.79 in late trade, Kirklands Inc (NASDAQ: KIRK ) which lost 22.00% to settle at 1.17 and Livongo Health Inc (NASDAQ: LVGO ) which was down 17.29% to 25.55 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2021 to 954 and 69 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1980 rose and 682 declined, while 86 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.12% to 16.27.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 2.13% or 33.30 to $1527.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.14% or 0.08 to hit $56.18 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.07% or 0.04 to trade at $60.78 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1037, while USD/JPY rose 0.05% to 106.97.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.04% at 98.350.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.