The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 2.80% or 6.19 points to trade at 227.01 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 2.73% or 2.26 points to end at 85.00 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) was up 2.28% or 3.23 points to 144.96 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which added 0.07% or 0.03 points to trade at 45.34 in late trade. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) added 0.38% or 0.59 points to end at 155.82 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) gained 0.49% or 1.12 points to 227.93.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Skyworks Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: SWKS ) which rose 4.37% to 80.64, Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which was up 4.20% to settle at 18.96 and Chubb Ltd (NYSE: CB ) which gained 3.59% to close at 162.06.
The worst performers were HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which was down 9.57% to 16.64 in late trade, Apache Corporation (NYSE: APA ) which lost 5.18% to settle at 22.16 and Corteva Inc (NYSE: CTVA ) which was down 3.68% to 25.8900 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Titan Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: TTNP ) which rose 74.60% to 0.4400, Electrocore LLC (NASDAQ: ECOR ) which was up 34.85% to settle at 2.67 and Microvision Inc (NASDAQ: MVIS ) which gained 27.61% to close at 0.741.
The worst performers were Arbutus Biopharma Corp (NASDAQ: ABUS ) which was down 28.67% to 1.020 in late trade, Ovid Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: OVID ) which lost 26.76% to settle at 2.40 and Arcimoto Inc (NASDAQ: FUV ) which was down 16.67% to 2.35 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2129 to 713 and 99 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1755 rose and 863 declined, while 86 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 10.88% to 17.04.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.23% or 3.55 to $1510.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 1.01% or 0.53 to hit $52.98 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 1.37% or 0.79 to trade at $58.50 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.13% to 1.0978, while USD/JPY rose 0.04% to 106.94.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.03% at 98.510.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.