U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.58%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Monday, as gains in the Telecoms , Technology and Financials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 1.58%, while the S&P 500 index gained 1.18%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 1.15%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which rose 3.09% or 1.36 points to trade at 45.36 at the close. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) added 3.00% or 7.12 points to end at 244.14 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) was up 2.89% or 1.38 points to 49.11 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ), which lost 0.02% or 0.01 points to trade at 44.03 in late trade. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) added 0.06% or 0.11 points to end at 188.46 and Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) gained 0.25% or 0.23 points to 93.12.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which rose 6.01% to 23.46, Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM ) which was up 5.78% to settle at 66.98 and Discovery Communications Inc (NASDAQ: DISCA ) which gained 4.83% to close at 25.17.
The worst performers were Albemarle Corporation (NYSE: ALB ) which was down 7.28% to 110.10 in late trade, Citizens Financial Group Inc (NYSE: CFG ) which lost 4.07% to settle at 44.54 and Ulta Beauty Inc (NASDAQ: ULTA ) which was down 3.95% to 198.93 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Zosano Pharma Corp (NASDAQ: ZSAN ) which rose 71.05% to 7.680, Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: TTPH ) which was up 30.45% to settle at 2.870 and NXT-ID Inc (NASDAQ: NXTD ) which gained 24.77% to close at 2.7200.
The worst performers were ARCA Biopharma Inc (NASDAQ: ABIO ) which was down 71.88% to 0.450 in late trade, Aytu BioScience Inc (NASDAQ: AYTU ) which lost 23.59% to settle at 0.6800 and IRIDEX Corporation (NASDAQ: IRIX ) which was down 15.85% to 6.16 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2038 to 1054 and 117 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1600 rose and 919 declined, while 134 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.82% to 15.86.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.35% or 4.60 to $1334.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.76% or 0.48 to hit $64.03 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 0.52% or 0.35 to trade at $67.39 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.11% to 1.2317, while USD/JPY rose 0.14% to 106.94.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 89.76.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or