The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which rose 9.33% or 8.42 points to trade at 98.64 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 4.28% or 14.21 points to end at 345.97 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 3.23% or 4.26 points to 136.28 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 0.61% or 0.29 points to trade at 47.17 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 0.31% or 0.35 points to end at 112.50 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 0.02% or 0.02 points to 107.64.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) which rose 9.33% to 98.64, Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC ) which was up 4.64% to settle at 19.41 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) which gained 4.28% to close at 345.97.
The worst performers were Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc (NYSE: CMG ) which was down 4.40% to 502.76 in late trade, NetApp Inc (NASDAQ: NTAP ) which lost 3.59% to settle at 79.51 and Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which was down 3.30% to 4.255 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were JMU Ltd (NASDAQ: JMU ) which rose 46.83% to 1.850, Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which was up 34.38% to settle at 0.311 and SAExploration Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which gained 28.89% to close at 0.580.
The worst performers were Pain Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PTIE ) which was down 47.45% to 1.030 in late trade, Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc (NASDAQ: HMNY ) which lost 37.50% to settle at 0.030 and ParkerVision Inc (NASDAQ: PRKR ) which was down 32.11% to 0.2600 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2270 to 816 and 29 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1766 rose and 784 declined, while 128 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.51% to 13.54.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.34% or 4.00 to $1181.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 0.72% or 0.47 to hit $65.48 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 0.86% or 0.61 to trade at $71.37 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.26% to 1.1376, while USD/JPY rose 0.14% to 110.90.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.11% at 96.48.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.