The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 5.20% or 2.36 points to trade at 47.76 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 4.27% or 14.32 points to end at 349.91 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) was up 3.21% or 2.32 points to 74.51 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 3.54% or 4.24 points to trade at 115.40 in late trade. Visa Inc (NYSE: V ) declined 1.17% or 1.57 points to end at 132.76 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) shed 0.79% or 0.34 points to 42.89.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which rose 27.71% to 23.23, Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which was up 24.75% to settle at 20.970 and Vulcan Materials Company (NYSE: VMC ) which gained 17.49% to close at 98.93.
The worst performers were FLIR Systems Inc (NASDAQ: FLIR ) which was down 12.92% to 46.36 in late trade, Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which lost 12.10% to settle at 3.270 and General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) which was down 8.78% to 10.18 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Electro Scientific Industries Inc (NASDAQ: ESIO ) which rose 91.09% to 28.53, ReShape Lifesciences Inc (NASDAQ: RSLS ) which was up 19.07% to settle at 0.0231 and TMSR Holding Company Ltd (NASDAQ: TMSR ) which gained 27.45% to close at 3.25.
The worst performers were Avinger Inc (NASDAQ: AVGR ) which was down 44.58% to 0.33 in late trade, Novume Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: NVMM ) which lost 43.08% to settle at 0.74 and LM Funding America Inc (NASDAQ: LMFA ) which was down 41.94% to 1.98 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2152 to 921 and 81 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1775 rose and 866 declined, while 81 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.47% to 23.35.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.58% or 7.10 to $1225.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 1.30% or 0.87 to hit $66.17 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 1.69% or 1.31 to trade at $76.03 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.23% to 1.1346, while USD/JPY rose 0.53% to 112.97.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.44% at 96.77.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.