The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 6.83% or 10.57 points to trade at 165.25 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 6.25% or 22.81 points to end at 387.72 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) was up 3.34% or 3.44 points to 106.38 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which lost 1.98% or 1.91 points to trade at 94.80 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 0.69% or 0.77 points to end at 110.13 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) shed 0.22% or 0.40 points to 181.77.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which rose 19.95% to 23.09, Stryker Corporation (NYSE: SYK ) which was up 11.37% to settle at 179.39 and Anthem Inc (NYSE: ANTM ) which gained 9.11% to close at 297.56.
The worst performers were Juniper Networks Inc (NYSE: JNPR ) which was down 7.58% to 25.83 in late trade, Franklin Resources Inc (NYSE: BEN ) which lost 6.73% to settle at 29.09 and Illumina Inc (NASDAQ: ILMN ) which was down 4.45% to 272.57 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Co-Diagnostics Inc (NASDAQ: CODX ) which rose 101.80% to 2.24, Alliance MMA Inc (NASDAQ: AMMA ) which was up 61.62% to settle at 0.29 and One Horizon Group Inc (NASDAQ: OHGI ) which gained 48.55% to close at 0.1585.
The worst performers were AC Immune Ltd (NASDAQ: ACIU ) which was down 65.98% to 3.65 in late trade, Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SGYP ) which lost 22.33% to settle at 0.313 and NF Energy Saving Corporation (NASDAQ: NFEC ) which was down 21.51% to 6.7500 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2403 to 664 and 69 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1792 rose and 828 declined, while 86 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.68% to 17.66.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.73% or 9.50 to $1318.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 1.80% or 0.96 to hit $54.27 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.67% or 0.41 to trade at $61.61 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.47% to 1.1483, while USD/JPY fell 0.34% to 109.00.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.44% at 95.097.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.