The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 4.69% or 3.66 points to trade at 81.62 at the close. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) added 4.11% or 1.97 points to end at 49.93 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 3.66% or 6.34 points to 179.64 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which lost 0.28% or 0.16 points to trade at 56.22 in late trade. Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) added 0.04% or 0.02 points to end at 50.00 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) gained 0.43% or 0.85 points to 199.63.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Mattel Inc (NASDAQ: MAT ) which rose 11.71% to 10.78, Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which was up 8.98% to settle at 112.87 and Xerox Corp (NYSE: XRX ) which gained 7.49% to close at 33.30.
The worst performers were Ventas Inc (NYSE: VTR ) which was down 3.04% to 62.20 in late trade, HCP Inc (NYSE: HCP ) which lost 2.64% to settle at 30.97 and McCormick & Company Incorporated (NYSE: MKC ) which was down 2.53% to 153.12 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Alliance MMA Inc (NASDAQ: WORX ) which rose 50.55% to 6.42, Silver Run Acquisition Corporation II (NASDAQ: AMR ) which was up 41.59% to settle at 0.21 and Revolution Lighting Technologies (NASDAQ: RVLT ) which gained 40.67% to close at 0.2698.
The worst performers were Legacy Reserves Inc (NASDAQ: LGCY ) which was down 43.21% to 0.30 in late trade, Attis Industries Inc (NASDAQ: ATIS ) which lost 25.60% to settle at 1.86 and MDJM Ltd (NASDAQ: MDJH ) which was down 22.42% to 2.21 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2423 to 600 and 65 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2021 rose and 653 declined, while 78 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 9.70% to 17.03.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.18% or 2.40 to $1330.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.56% or 0.30 to hit $52.95 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.07% or 0.04 to trade at $61.44 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1255, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 108.14.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.00% at 97.062.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.