U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.03%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Utilities , Consumer Services and Telecoms sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.03%, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.09%, and the NASDAQ Composite index fell 0.07%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which rose 1.79% or 1.87 points to trade at 106.27 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 1.26% or 1.39 points to end at 111.28 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 0.90% or 2.06 points to 231.69 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 1.94% or 2.89 points to trade at 146.35 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 1.86% or 2.60 points to end at 136.82 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 0.92% or 0.39 points to 42.01.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cintas Corporation (NASDAQ: CTAS ) which rose 5.11% to 203.57, Philip Morris International Inc (NYSE: PM ) which was up 4.22% to settle at 84.31 and VF Corporation (NYSE: VFC ) which gained 4.15% to close at 92.94.
The worst performers were State Street Corporation (NYSE: STT ) which was down 7.41% to 85.87 in late trade, Skyworks Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: SWKS ) which lost 5.36% to settle at 96.99 and Alaska Air Group Inc (NYSE: ALK ) which was down 4.95% to 60.63 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Rewalk Robotics Ltd (NASDAQ: RWLK ) which rose 73.64% to 1.25, Aralez Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ARLZ ) which was up 25.46% to settle at 0.31 and SAExploration Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which gained 19.41% to close at 2.030.
The worst performers were Zynerba Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ZYNE ) which was down 24.09% to 7.91 in late trade, FTD Companies Inc (NASDAQ: FTD ) which lost 19.47% to settle at 3.64 and Diversified Restaurant Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SAUC ) which was down 16.53% to 1.010 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1608 to 1415 and 139 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1347 fell and 1195 advanced, while 129 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.31% to 12.83.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.57% or 7.00 to $1231.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September fell 0.18% or 0.12 to hit $68.12 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.66% or 0.48 to trade at $73.06 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.69% to 1.1723, while USD/JPY fell 0.85% to 111.50.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.80% at 94.22.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or