The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which rose 2.29% or 5.41 points to trade at 241.43 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 0.96% or 1.17 points to end at 123.29 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 0.50% or 0.49 points to 98.34 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 2.07% or 1.34 points to trade at 63.40 in late trade. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) declined 1.46% or 3.02 points to end at 203.84 and DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) shed 1.05% or 0.57 points to 53.68.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which rose 7.31% to 71.33, Willis Towers Watson PLC (NASDAQ: WLTW ) which was up 5.20% to settle at 182.04 and Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT ) which gained 4.58% to close at 76.00.
The worst performers were Aon PLC (NYSE: AON ) which was down 7.84% to 157.25 in late trade, DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH ) which lost 6.96% to settle at 31.14 and Align Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ALGN ) which was down 6.67% to 239.22 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were SSLJ.com Ltd Class A (NASDAQ: SSLJ ) which rose 77.43% to 0.8889, TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which was up 36.34% to settle at 1.09 and Ritter Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: RTTR ) which gained 35.14% to close at 0.880.
The worst performers were Atlas Financial Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: AFH ) which was down 60.88% to 2.660 in late trade, Adamas Pharma (NASDAQ: ADMS ) which lost 32.84% to settle at 8.16 and Iconix Brand Group Inc (NASDAQ: ICON ) which was down 20.80% to 0.26 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1601 to 1371 and 118 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1537 fell and 1056 advanced, while 110 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.14% to 14.74.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.03% or 0.35 to $1288.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.05% or 0.03 to hit $56.30 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.06% or 0.04 to trade at $65.59 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.01% to 1.1305, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 111.89.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.16% at 96.765.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.