The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which rose 3.53% or 2.90 points to trade at 85.10 at the close. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) added 2.49% or 0.93 points to end at 38.21 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 2.36% or 8.05 points to 348.93 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 2.31% or 5.76 points to trade at 243.29 in late trade. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 1.74% or 2.07 points to end at 117.15 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) shed 1.73% or 1.57 points to 89.28.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were National Oilwell Varco Inc (NYSE: NOV ) which rose 13.69% to 23.83, Xerox Corp (NYSE: XRX ) which was up 11.79% to settle at 34.42 and Leggett & Platt Incorporated (NYSE: LEG ) which gained 11.72% to close at 51.57.
The worst performers were IPG Photonics Corporation (NASDAQ: IPGP ) which was down 13.41% to 124.45 in late trade, Smith AO Corporation (NYSE: AOS ) which lost 4.13% to settle at 49.23 and TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which was down 3.15% to 20.27 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Wins Finance Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WINS ) which rose 39.52% to 14.05, Amkor Technology Inc (NASDAQ: AMKR ) which was up 34.66% to settle at 14.92 and Synthesis Energy Systems Inc (NASDAQ: SES ) which gained 33.33% to close at 7.5600.
The worst performers were Destination Maternity Corporation (NASDAQ: DEST ) which was down 31.19% to 0.11 in late trade, Safe-T Group Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: SFET ) which lost 25.07% to settle at 7.8000 and Diffusion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: DFFN ) which was down 24.31% to 0.8251 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1508 to 1312 and 115 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1336 fell and 1297 advanced, while 99 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.69% to 13.20.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.40% or 5.95 to $1489.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 0.56% or 0.31 to hit $55.50 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $61.17 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1112, while USD/JPY unchanged 0.00% to 108.87.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 97.465.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.