The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 2.11% or 7.21 points to trade at 348.12 at the close. Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 1.93% or 1.95 points to end at 102.85 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) was up 1.66% or 2.16 points to 131.97 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 2.14% or 3.49 points to trade at 159.54 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 1.88% or 1.72 points to end at 89.61 and Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE: XOM ) shed 1.80% or 1.41 points to 76.94.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were XL Group Ltd (NYSE: XL ) which rose 12.48% to 42.00, Hasbro Inc (NASDAQ: HAS ) which was up 8.83% to settle at 102.22 and Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which gained 8.64% to close at 177.32.
The worst performers were Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc (NYSE: CMG ) which was down 10.55% to 272.21 in late trade, Microchip Technology Incorporated (NASDAQ: MCHP ) which lost 9.80% to settle at 82.91 and Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which was down 7.67% to 2.890 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were RMG Networks Holding Corp (NASDAQ: RMGN ) which rose 34.67% to 1.0900, Capstone Turbine Corp (NASDAQ: CPST ) which was up 28.57% to settle at 0.927 and Liberty Tripadvisor Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: LTRPB ) which gained 27.17% to close at 11.00.
The worst performers were MACOM Technology Solutions Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MTSI ) which was down 36.73% to 19.210 in late trade, One Horizon Group Inc (NASDAQ: OHGI ) which lost 31.41% to settle at 1.4129 and Westmoreland Coal Company (NASDAQ: WLB ) which was down 24.16% to 0.79 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1590 to 1512 and 119 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1378 rose and 1178 declined, while 109 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 11.54% to 26.52.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.74% or 9.90 to $1319.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 2.90% or 1.84 to hit $61.55 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 2.36% or 1.58 to trade at $65.28 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.84% to 1.2272, while USD/JPY fell 0.10% to 109.44.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.69% at 90.14.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.