The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 2.73% or 1.39 points to trade at 52.32 at the close. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) added 2.12% or 3.67 points to end at 176.51 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 1.87% or 3.96 points to 215.54 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 1.90% or 0.95 points to trade at 49.17 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 1.64% or 2.21 points to end at 132.50 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) shed 1.50% or 1.16 points to 75.92.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were JB Hunt Transport Services Inc (NASDAQ: JBHT ) which rose 5.56% to 97.73, The Charles Schwab Corporation (NYSE: SCHW ) which was up 3.30% to settle at 41.63 and Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR ) which gained 3.27% to close at 148.61.
The worst performers were Range Resources Corp (NYSE: RRC ) which was down 7.07% to 5.58 in late trade, Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which lost 5.76% to settle at 51.49 and NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which was down 4.38% to 34.08 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Immuron Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: IMRN ) which rose 46.76% to 4.30, Bio Path Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: BPTH ) which was up 33.10% to settle at 17.170 and Taronis Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: TRNX ) which gained 28.61% to close at 0.450.
The worst performers were Tonix Pharmaceuticals Holding Corp (NASDAQ: TNXP ) which was down 40.66% to 0.570 in late trade, Ideanomics Inc (NASDAQ: IDEX ) which lost 23.08% to settle at 1.700 and China Lending Corp (NASDAQ: CLDC ) which was down 19.42% to 0.83 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1513 to 1482 and 25 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1391 fell and 1232 advanced, while 132 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.42% to 12.86.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to $1407.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 3.49% or 2.08 to hit $57.50 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $64.36 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1211, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 108.22.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.49% at 97.020.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.