The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which rose 3.82% or 4.43 points to trade at 120.43 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 2.12% or 7.21 points to end at 347.42 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) was up 0.95% or 0.78 points to 83.27 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which lost 6.39% or 2.65 points to trade at 38.80 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 1.54% or 0.81 points to end at 51.70 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 1.27% or 0.73 points to 56.64.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were National Oilwell Varco Inc (NYSE: NOV ) which rose 11.32% to 23.02, Martin Marietta Materials Inc (NYSE: MLM ) which was up 9.98% to settle at 246.34 and Westinghouse Air Brake Technologies Corp (NYSE: WAB ) which gained 9.45% to close at 77.820.
The worst performers were Gartner Inc (NYSE: IT ) which was down 19.03% to 138.25 in late trade, Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which lost 13.69% to settle at 21.050 and Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which was down 12.28% to 24.07 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Energy Focu (NASDAQ: EFOI ) which rose 40.90% to 0.56, Iradimed Co (NASDAQ: IRMD ) which was up 33.30% to settle at 24.10 and Heat Biologics Inc (NASDAQ: HTBX ) which gained 26.66% to close at 0.660.
The worst performers were Yogaworks Inc (NASDAQ: YOGA ) which was down 35.53% to 0.20 in late trade, Alimera Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: ALIM ) which lost 28.11% to settle at 0.643 and Datasea Inc (NASDAQ: DTSS ) which was down 17.14% to 1.16 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1778 to 1225 and 30 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1718 rose and 916 declined, while 105 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 8.65% to 13.94.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.77% or 10.90 to $1431.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 2.58% or 1.47 to hit $58.34 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $64.93 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1158, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 108.61.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.02% at 97.820.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.