The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 2.72% or 9.06 points to trade at 342.56 at the close. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) added 1.36% or 0.61 points to end at 45.51 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) was up 0.88% or 0.68 points to 77.91 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 2.37% or 1.16 points to trade at 47.70 in late trade. Visa Inc (NYSE: V ) declined 1.61% or 2.28 points to end at 139.10 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 1.40% or 1.58 points to 111.31.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Dollar Tree Inc (NASDAQ: DLTR ) which rose 6.13% to 88.43, Nielsen Holdings (NYSE: NLSN ) which was up 4.02% to settle at 27.15 and Concho Resources Inc (NYSE: CXO ) which gained 3.06% to close at 131.50.
The worst performers were Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (NYSE: DGX ) which was down 9.27% to 87.94 in late trade, Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which lost 5.46% to settle at 45.52 and Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which was down 4.15% to 108.12 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Adial Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ADIL ) which rose 100.00% to 2.80, Tonix Pharmaceuticals Holding Corp (NASDAQ: TNXP ) which was up 83.42% to settle at 6.970 and Kirklands Inc (NASDAQ: KIRK ) which gained 34.13% to close at 10.10.
The worst performers were ShiftPixy Inc (NASDAQ: PIXY ) which was down 32.35% to 2.99 in late trade, Bio Path Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: BPTH ) which lost 26.57% to settle at 0.441 and Cleantech Solutions International Inc (NASDAQ: SEII ) which was down 24.23% to 1.470 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1584 to 1486 and 97 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1455 fell and 1184 advanced, while 95 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.62% to 18.79.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.06% or 0.70 to $1229.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 2.21% or 1.11 to hit $51.40 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 1.39% or 0.82 to trade at $59.91 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.18% to 1.1387, while USD/JPY fell 0.21% to 113.45.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.04% at 96.718.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.