U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.11%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Healthcare , Consumer Services and Technology sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.11%, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.05%, and the NASDAQ Composite index lost 0.08%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 0.72% or 1.11 points to trade at 155.75 at the close. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) added 0.66% or 1.00 points to end at 152.50 and DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) was up 0.66% or 0.47 points to 72.11 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 2.29% or 1.48 points to trade at 63.29 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 0.82% or 0.90 points to end at 108.67 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) shed 0.78% or 2.04 points to 258.97.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Scana Corporation (NYSE: SCG ) which rose 4.33% to 39.01, Edison International (NYSE: EIX ) which was up 3.03% to settle at 65.23 and NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which gained 2.55% to close at 28.16.
The worst performers were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was down 3.21% to 10.540 in late trade, Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) which lost 2.29% to settle at 63.29 and Southern Company (NYSE: SO ) which was down 2.00% to 48.50 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Sigma Labs Inc (NASDAQ: SGLB ) which rose 150.00% to 3.500, Ignyta Inc (NASDAQ: RXDX ) which was up 72.67% to settle at 26.85 and Adomani Inc (NASDAQ: ADOM ) which gained 55.27% to close at 3.68.
The worst performers were Agile Thrpe (NASDAQ: AGRX ) which was down 47.06% to 2.52 in late trade, Net Element Inc (NASDAQ: NETE ) which lost 22.35% to settle at 14.5600 and MER Telemanagement Solutions Ltd (NASDAQ: MTSL ) which was down 17.75% to 2.2700 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1564 to 1506 and 140 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1440 fell and 1082 advanced, while 117 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.39% to 9.85.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.65% or 8.20 to $1278.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 0.05% or 0.03 to hit $58.33 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.22% or 0.14 to trade at $65.04 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.09% to 1.1864, while USD/JPY fell 0.04% to 113.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.04% at 92.88.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or