The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which rose 1.83% or 4.53 points to trade at 252.29 at the close. Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) added 1.39% or 1.06 points to end at 77.67 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) was up 0.78% or 0.45 points to 57.79 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 1.24% or 1.76 points to trade at 140.26 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 1.15% or 0.56 points to end at 48.37 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) shed 0.98% or 1.27 points to 128.76.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Humana Inc (NYSE: HUM ) which rose 4.47% to 270.39, Baker Hughes A Ge Company LLC (NYSE: BHGE ) which was up 3.41% to settle at 25.19 and CarMax Inc (NYSE: KMX ) which gained 3.13% to close at 85.60.
The worst performers were Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which was down 4.51% to 46.60 in late trade, Altria Group (NYSE: MO ) which lost 4.50% to settle at 48.00 and Sealed Air Corporation (NYSE: SEE ) which was down 4.44% to 41.73 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Legacy Reserves Inc (NASDAQ: LGCY ) which rose 59.77% to 0.0850, Aspen Group Inc (NASDAQ: ASPU ) which was up 25.93% to settle at 5.1000 and China SXT Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SXTC ) which gained 24.36% to close at 4.3400.
The worst performers were Akerna Corp (NASDAQ: KERN ) which was down 25.99% to 27.05 in late trade, VERB TECHNOLOGY COMPANY INC (NASDAQ: VERB ) which lost 18.33% to settle at 1.960 and Stellar Biotechnologies Inc (NASDAQ: EDSA ) which was down 18.11% to 6.060 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1830 to 1188 and 23 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1591 fell and 1056 advanced, while 108 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.41% to 15.40.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.45% or 6.30 to $1403.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.91% or 0.52 to hit $57.59 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 1.33% or 0.86 to trade at $65.31 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.68% to 1.1368, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 107.31.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.46% at 95.692.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.