The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE: XOM ), which rose 1.33% or 1.06 points to trade at 80.98 at the close. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) added 1.05% or 0.35 points to end at 33.72 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) was up 0.98% or 0.97 points to 99.57 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Visa Inc (NYSE: V ), which lost 2.41% or 2.54 points to trade at 103.02 in late trade. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) declined 1.67% or 2.65 points to end at 156.26 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) shed 1.55% or 1.15 points to 73.26.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Transocean Ltd (NYSE: RIG ) which rose 7.62% to 10.03, Genuine Parts Company (NYSE: GPC ) which was up 5.96% to settle at 93.22 and CenturyLink Inc (NYSE: CTL ) which gained 4.32% to close at 19.34.
The worst performers were First Solar Inc (NASDAQ: FSLR ) which was down 8.81% to 46.88 in late trade, Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (NYSE: DGX ) which lost 7.38% to settle at 94.57 and TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which was down 7.08% to 41.22 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Inpixon (NASDAQ: INPX ) which rose 70.75% to 0.3690, ITUS Corp (NASDAQ: ITUS ) which was up 69.60% to settle at 3.850 and Izea Inc (NASDAQ: IZEA ) which gained 51.56% to close at 4.8500.
The worst performers were Diana Containerships Inc (NASDAQ: DCIX ) which was down 41.27% to 0.7400 in late trade, Bioblast Pharma Ltd (NASDAQ: ORPN ) which lost 23.90% to settle at 1.770 and TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which was down 18.04% to 10.45 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1699 to 1370 and 151 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1378 fell and 1126 advanced, while 144 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 7.09% to 10.27.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 1.20% or 15.53 to $1313.03 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 2.96% or 1.50 to hit $52.16 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 3.69% or 2.08 to trade at $58.50 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.92% to 1.1847, while USD/JPY fell 0.29% to 111.67.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.55% at 92.46.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.