The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which rose 1.23% or 0.44 points to trade at 36.22 at the close. Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) added 0.72% or 0.51 points to end at 71.48 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 0.61% or 0.33 points to 54.41 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which lost 1.30% or 1.56 points to trade at 118.60 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 1.30% or 1.81 points to end at 137.73 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 1.16% or 0.97 points to 82.91.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC ) which rose 3.77% to 50.71, Emerson Electric Company (NYSE: EMR ) which was up 3.44% to settle at 66.40 and Ulta Beauty Inc (NASDAQ: ULTA ) which gained 3.42% to close at 244.40.
The worst performers were Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which was down 11.09% to 43.21 in late trade, Lam Research Corp (NASDAQ: LRCX ) which lost 5.25% to settle at 230.08 and Applied Materials Inc (NASDAQ: AMAT ) which was down 5.22% to 49.43 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were BroadVision Inc (NASDAQ: BVSN ) which rose 29.82% to 1.69, Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: TTPH ) which was up 21.40% to settle at 5.730 and Tiziana Life Sciences PLC ADR (NASDAQ: TLSA ) which gained 16.68% to close at 6.25.
The worst performers were Concert Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CNCE ) which was down 36.68% to 6.25 in late trade, Histogenics Corp (NASDAQ: HSGX ) which lost 30.77% to settle at 0.162 and Destination Maternity Corporation (NASDAQ: DEST ) which was down 24.41% to 0.40 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1634 to 1224 and 107 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1720 fell and 906 advanced, while 83 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 7.16% to 17.22.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.78% or 11.75 to $1503.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 0.43% or 0.24 to hit $56.17 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 1.37% or 0.86 to trade at $61.88 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.17% to 1.0940, while USD/JPY rose 0.13% to 107.95.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.00% at 98.767.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.