The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 1.04% or 4.52 points to trade at 439.96 at the close. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) added 0.98% or 0.42 points to end at 43.35 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) was up 0.90% or 1.64 points to 183.84 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 3.14% or 7.86 points to trade at 242.22 in late trade. DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) declined 2.72% or 1.49 points to end at 53.23 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 1.60% or 2.24 points to 137.34.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Monster Beverage Corp (NASDAQ: MNST ) which rose 8.67% to 63.83, Universal Health Services Inc (NYSE: UHS ) which was up 4.26% to settle at 138.83 and Southwest Airlines Company (NYSE: LUV ) which gained 4.07% to close at 56.04.
The worst performers were HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which was down 17.27% to 19.73 in late trade, Booking Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: BKNG ) which lost 10.96% to settle at 1697.04 and Celgene Corporation (NASDAQ: CELG ) which was down 8.65% to 83.12 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were PHI Inc (NASDAQ: PHIIK ) which rose 67.20% to 3.11, Arcadia Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: RKDA ) which was up 49.07% to settle at 8.050 and Sequential (NASDAQ: SQBG ) which gained 40.00% to close at 1.68.
The worst performers were Novavax Inc (NASDAQ: NVAX ) which was down 66.90% to 0.705 in late trade, Midatech Pharma PLC (NASDAQ: MTP ) which lost 30.38% to settle at 0.550 and TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which was down 28.33% to 0.50 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1661 to 1317 and 125 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1508 fell and 1125 advanced, while 95 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.87% to 14.78.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.50% or 6.55 to $1314.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.58% or 0.33 to hit $57.27 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $66.41 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1372, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 111.39.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.09% at 96.120.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.