The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 2.25% or 3.67 points to trade at 166.72 at the close. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) added 1.19% or 1.56 points to end at 132.62 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 1.09% or 2.79 points to 259.25 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 6.06% or 3.53 points to trade at 54.71 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 2.13% or 1.04 points to end at 47.83 and General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) shed 1.83% or 0.38 points to 20.41.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Mattel Inc (NASDAQ: MAT ) which rose 11.29% to 15.58, LyondellBasell Industries NV (NYSE: LYB ) which was up 7.06% to settle at 106.00 and CenturyLink Inc (NYSE: CTL ) which gained 5.26% to close at 18.40.
The worst performers were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was down 8.02% to 10.890 in late trade, Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) which lost 6.06% to settle at 54.71 and Leggett & Platt Incorporated (NYSE: LEG ) which was down 4.55% to 47.20 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Supercom Lt (NASDAQ: SPCB ) which rose 36.26% to 3.720, Capella Education Company (NASDAQ: CPLA ) which was up 30.46% to settle at 85.45 and Micronet Enertec Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: MICT ) which gained 29.24% to close at 0.879.
The worst performers were Iconix Brand Group Inc (NASDAQ: ICON ) which was down 62.32% to 1.85 in late trade, Dragon Victory International Ltd (NASDAQ: LYL ) which lost 23.30% to settle at 6.98 and Office Depot Inc (NASDAQ: ODP ) which was down 18.28% to 3.04 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1881 to 1227 and 114 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1708 fell and 821 advanced, while 113 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 7.04% to 10.49.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.42% or 5.39 to $1277.19 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December rose 0.41% or 0.22 to hit $54.12 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 0.67% or 0.40 to trade at $60.53 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.40% to 1.1655, while USD/JPY fell 0.48% to 113.14.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.38% at 94.36.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.