The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 1.83% or 6.65 points to trade at 369.40 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 0.76% or 2.02 points to end at 266.68 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) was up 0.45% or 0.22 points to 49.39 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 2.41% or 3.35 points to trade at 135.74 in late trade. United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) declined 2.33% or 3.10 points to end at 130.09 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 2.31% or 1.29 points to 54.52.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cintas Corporation (NASDAQ: CTAS ) which rose 8.74% to 260.37, Hershey Company (NYSE: HSY ) which was up 3.77% to settle at 145.72 and Abbott Laboratories (NYSE: ABT ) which gained 3.14% to close at 85.75.
The worst performers were CSX Corporation (NASDAQ: CSX ) which was down 10.27% to 71.38 in late trade, Textron Inc (NYSE: TXT ) which lost 9.53% to settle at 48.88 and Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC ) which was down 7.43% to 191.11 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Guardion Health Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: GHSI ) which rose 93.75% to 1.8600, Scpharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SCPH ) which was up 27.01% to settle at 5.36 and AVROBIO Inc (NASDAQ: AVRO ) which gained 19.52% to close at 22.90.
The worst performers were Xenetic Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: XBIO ) which was down 49.26% to 5.500 in late trade, Xcel Brands Inc (NASDAQ: XELB ) which lost 17.74% to settle at 2.69 and Monaker Group Inc (NASDAQ: MKGI ) which was down 17.23% to 2.4500 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1921 to 1083 and 20 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1704 fell and 934 advanced, while 104 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 8.63% to 13.97.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 1.20% or 16.95 to $1428.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 1.80% or 1.04 to hit $56.58 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $63.61 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1226, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 107.94.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.20% at 96.850.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.