The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 1.91% or 1.66 points to trade at 88.48 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 0.79% or 0.89 points to end at 114.04 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 0.69% or 0.77 points to 112.75 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 2.06% or 4.21 points to trade at 200.02 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 1.80% or 1.54 points to end at 84.06 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) shed 1.64% or 2.82 points to 169.18.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Signet Jewelers Ltd (NYSE: SIG ) which rose 5.31% to 18.23, Edison International (NYSE: EIX ) which was up 3.14% to settle at 69.29 and Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which gained 2.78% to close at 49.87.
The worst performers were IPG Photonics Corporation (NASDAQ: IPGP ) which was down 5.21% to 141.23 in late trade, DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc (NYSE: DVA ) which lost 4.75% to settle at 55.50 and Navient Corp (NASDAQ: NAVI ) which was down 4.40% to 13.48 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Naked Brand Group Ltd (NASDAQ: NAKD ) which rose 73.68% to 0.264, Soliton Inc (NASDAQ: SOLY ) which was up 61.85% to settle at 18.5000 and Taronis Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: TRNX ) which gained 30.14% to close at 0.272.
The worst performers were TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which was down 26.19% to 0.59 in late trade, Nano Dimension Ltd (NASDAQ: NNDM ) which lost 19.23% to settle at 0.42 and Xenetic Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: XBIO ) which was down 16.73% to 10.200 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1949 to 1033 and 36 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1866 fell and 805 advanced, while 84 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 5.12% to 13.96.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.18% or 2.50 to $1397.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.09% or 0.05 to hit $57.56 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract fell 0.02% or 0.01 to trade at $63.94 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.01% to 1.1213, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 108.72.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.08% at 96.972.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.