U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.46%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Technology sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.46%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.21%, and the NASDAQ Composite index lost 0.16%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which rose 1.11% or 2.21 points to trade at 201.01 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 1.02% or 0.80 points to end at 79.52 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) was up 0.83% or 0.47 points to 56.99 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 6.11% or 3.43 points to trade at 52.70 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 2.16% or 2.98 points to end at 135.17 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) shed 1.75% or 1.38 points to 77.29.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which rose 5.52% to 28.29, AmerisourceBergen (NYSE: ABC ) which was up 5.00% to settle at 77.06 and Vulcan Materials Company (NYSE: VMC ) which gained 4.40% to close at 129.20.
The worst performers were Fluor Corporation (NYSE: FLR ) which was down 24.09% to 29.72 in late trade, Cognizant Technology Solutions Corp Class A (NASDAQ: CTSH ) which lost 7.72% to settle at 66.61 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) which was down 6.11% to 52.70 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Diffusion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: DFFN ) which rose 91.56% to 5.9000, FTD Companies Inc (NASDAQ: FTD ) which was up 46.67% to settle at 0.99 and Digimarc Corporation (NASDAQ: DMRC ) which gained 44.77% to close at 47.92.
The worst performers were VistaGen Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VTGN ) which was down 46.66% to 0.560 in late trade, Nuvectra Corp (NASDAQ: NVTR ) which lost 34.72% to settle at 6.13 and CRA International Inc (NASDAQ: CRAI ) which was down 21.20% to 41.12 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1617 to 1345 and 118 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1413 rose and 1203 declined, while 89 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.57% to 14.42.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.97% or 12.45 to $1271.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 3.22% or 2.05 to hit $61.55 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $70.38 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.1177, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 111.50.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.18% at 97.588.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or