The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ), which rose 0.52% or 0.09 points to trade at 17.45 at the close. Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) added 0.35% or 0.16 points to end at 45.88 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) was down 0.01% or 0.02 points to 135.64 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 1.08% or 1.85 points to trade at 169.23 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 1.04% or 2.31 points to end at 220.46 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 0.94% or 0.50 points to 52.93.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which rose 1.68% to 28.48, Martin Marietta Materials Inc (NYSE: MLM ) which was up 1.65% to settle at 221.04 and National Oilwell Varco Inc (NYSE: NOV ) which gained 1.49% to close at 36.02.
The worst performers were Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which was down 7.02% to 14.43 in late trade, Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which lost 5.80% to settle at 13.320 and Range Resources Corporation (NYSE: RRC ) which was down 3.12% to 17.06 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Koss Corporation (NASDAQ: KOSS ) which rose 114.58% to 3.090, Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BCLI ) which was up 29.37% to settle at 3.9200 and Comstock Holding Companies Inc (NASDAQ: CHCI ) which gained 24.09% to close at 1.700.
The worst performers were Energous Co (NASDAQ: WATT ) which was down 38.39% to 19.45 in late trade, LiNiu Technology Group (NASDAQ: LINU ) which lost 34.62% to settle at 2.040 and Live Ventures Inc (NASDAQ: LIVE ) which was down 19.98% to 15.980 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1812 to 1266 and 137 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1748 fell and 797 advanced, while 115 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 8.45% to 11.04.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.59% or 7.60 to $1304.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.45% or 0.27 to hit $60.11 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.71% or 0.47 to trade at $66.63 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.47% to 1.1998, while USD/JPY fell 0.19% to 112.68.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.37% at 92.00.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.