The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 2.16% or 2.62 points to trade at 124.12 at the close. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) added 1.68% or 0.81 points to end at 49.01 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) was up 1.50% or 1.09 points to 73.73 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which lost 1.94% or 2.37 points to trade at 119.75 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 1.61% or 2.22 points to end at 135.80 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 1.58% or 1.86 points to 115.57.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Apache Corporation (NYSE: APA ) which rose 16.89% to 28.45, Helmerich and Payne Inc (NYSE: HP ) which was up 14.33% to settle at 47.40 and Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which gained 12.17% to close at 28.12.
The worst performers were American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which was down 7.28% to 27.77 in late trade, Amcor (NYSE: AMCR ) which lost 5.38% to settle at 9.67 and Sealed Air Corporation (NYSE: SEE ) which was down 4.88% to 40.33 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Alder Bioph (NASDAQ: ALDR ) which rose 83.90% to 18.50, Wins Finance Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WINS ) which was up 61.37% to settle at 27.40 and Silver Run Acquisition Corporation II (NASDAQ: AMR ) which gained 50.34% to close at 0.11.
The worst performers were Overstockcom Inc (NASDAQ: OSTK ) which was down 20.78% to 19.75 in late trade, Willis Lease Finance Corporation (NASDAQ: WLFC ) which lost 20.55% to settle at 58.79 and Endurance International Group Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: EIGI ) which was down 19.68% to 4.57 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1581 to 1361 and 87 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1435 rose and 1231 declined, while 92 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 6.77% to 14.67.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.42% or 6.35 to $1505.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 12.52% or 6.86 to hit $61.66 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.01% or 0.01 to trade at $68.05 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1004, while USD/JPY fell 0.02% to 108.09.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.36% at 98.185.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.