The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which rose 5.77% or 9.14 points to trade at 167.44 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 1.81% or 2.94 points to end at 165.26 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 1.34% or 1.17 points to 88.46 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which lost 4.30% or 2.22 points to trade at 49.35 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 2.40% or 2.30 points to end at 93.52 and General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) shed 2.16% or 0.31 points to 14.07.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Andeavor (NYSE: ANDV ) which rose 13.03% to 138.32, McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) which was up 5.77% to settle at 167.44 and Mattel Inc (NASDAQ: MAT ) which gained 4.45% to close at 14.80.
The worst performers were Arconic Inc (NYSE: ARNC ) which was down 20.63% to 17.81 in late trade, Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: MPC ) which lost 8.01% to settle at 74.91 and Allergan Plc (NYSE: AGN ) which was down 5.18% to 153.65 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Heat Biologics Inc (NASDAQ: HTBX ) which rose 87.72% to 2.140, Steadymed Ltd (NASDAQ: STDY ) which was up 77.36% to settle at 4.700 and Check Cap Ltd (NASDAQ: CHEK ) which gained 41.80% to close at 12.790.
The worst performers were FC Global Realty Inc (NASDAQ: FCRE ) which was down 20.66% to 0.9441 in late trade, Benitec Biopharma Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: BNTC ) which lost 19.88% to settle at 2.6200 and Aytu BioScience Inc (NASDAQ: AYTU ) which was down 18.09% to 0.4650 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1936 to 1137 and 124 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1688 fell and 857 advanced, while 131 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.09% to 16.04.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.49% or 6.50 to $1316.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.50% or 0.34 to hit $68.44 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 1.08% or 0.80 to trade at $74.59 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.41% to 1.2081, while USD/JPY rose 0.22% to 109.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.33% at 91.61.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.