U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.66%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the Basic Materials , Telecoms and Financials sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.66%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.79%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 0.68%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which rose 4.45% or 9.25 points to trade at 217.20 at the close. United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) added 0.05% or 0.06 points to end at 126.70 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 0.00% or 0.01 points to 210.36 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 5.26% or 2.40 points to trade at 43.20 in late trade. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) declined 2.38% or 2.96 points to end at 121.44 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 1.90% or 4.66 points to 240.05.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) which rose 4.45% to 217.20, Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN ) which was up 3.57% to settle at 185.59 and Lowe’s Companies Inc (NYSE: LOW ) which gained 3.20% to close at 98.09.
The worst performers were Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which was down 6.89% to 44.88 in late trade, Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) which lost 5.26% to settle at 43.20 and Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which was down 4.65% to 15.38 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Alliance MMA Inc (NASDAQ: WORX ) which rose 73.49% to 3.73, Motif Bio PLC (NASDAQ: MTFB ) which was up 29.63% to settle at 0.70 and Cemtrex Inc (NASDAQ: CETX ) which gained 29.61% to close at 1.9700.
The worst performers were Toughbuilt Industries Inc (NASDAQ: TBLT ) which was down 27.91% to 0.40 in late trade, Synlogic Inc (NASDAQ: SYBX ) which lost 27.74% to settle at 3.490 and Paringa Resources Ltd (NASDAQ: PNRL ) which was down 22.95% to 2.02 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1844 to 1157 and 35 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1680 fell and 961 advanced, while 98 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.67% to 17.50.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.38% or 5.80 to $1517.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.02% or 0.01 to hit $56.13 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract fell 0.05% or 0.03 to trade at $60.08 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1101, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 106.25.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.19% at 98.032.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or