The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 1.62% or 4.34 points to trade at 272.48 at the close. Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 1.07% or 1.16 points to end at 109.55 and General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) was up 0.93% or 0.15 points to 16.28 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 2.68% or 4.48 points to trade at 162.58 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 2.07% or 3.55 points to end at 167.96 and Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) shed 2.07% or 2.71 points to 128.48.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc (NYSE: DPS ) which rose 22.39% to 117.07, Gilead Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: GILD ) which was up 3.91% to settle at 88.80 and Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which gained 3.64% to close at 284.59.
The worst performers were Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which was down 9.32% to 163.48 in late trade, Iron Mountain Incorporated (NYSE: IRM ) which lost 4.70% to settle at 34.08 and Lennar Corp B (NYSE: LENb ) which was down 4.26% to 52.58 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Atossa Genetics Inc (NASDAQ: ATOS ) which rose 40.48% to 0.5900, Immersion Corporation (NASDAQ: IMMR ) which was up 36.24% to settle at 10.00 and Ballard Power Systems Inc (NASDAQ: BLDP ) which gained 33.55% to close at 4.020.
The worst performers were Stein Mart Inc (NASDAQ: SMRT ) which was down 36.27% to 0.72 in late trade, ITUS Corp (NASDAQ: ITUS ) which lost 31.57% to settle at 4.140 and Aradigm Cor (NASDAQ: ARDM ) which was down 29.02% to 1.590 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2577 to 575 and 66 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1679 fell and 850 advanced, while 126 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 23.56% to 13.69 a new 3-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.95% or 12.90 to $1339.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.04% or 0.69 to hit $65.45 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 1.47% or 1.03 to trade at $69.12 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.39% to 1.2379, while USD/JPY rose 0.38% to 109.00.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.37% at 89.20.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.