The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which rose 0.46% or 0.77 points to trade at 166.57 at the close. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) added 0.47% or 0.21 points to end at 44.91 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 0.33% or 0.88 points to 269.20 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 2.29% or 1.10 points to trade at 47.03 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 2.19% or 3.44 points to end at 153.31 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 1.62% or 3.70 points to 224.29.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) which rose 4.11% to 13.18, Tyson Foods Inc (NYSE: TSN ) which was up 2.58% to settle at 61.55 and FirstEnergy Corporation (NYSE: FE ) which gained 2.26% to close at 37.98.
The worst performers were IPG Photonics Corporation (NASDAQ: IPGP ) which was down 13.80% to 132.76 in late trade, Newell Brands Inc (NYSE: NWL ) which lost 5.76% to settle at 18.82 and Eastman Chemical Company (NYSE: EMN ) which was down 5.62% to 91.05 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Altimmune Inc (NASDAQ: ALT ) which rose 54.04% to 7.240, GTX Inc (NASDAQ: GTXI ) which was up 35.46% to settle at 1.9100 and Realm Therapeutics PLC ADR (NASDAQ: RLM ) which gained 32.86% to close at 2.79.
The worst performers were Histogenics Corp (NASDAQ: HSGX ) which was down 39.60% to 0.604 in late trade, KemPharm Inc (NASDAQ: KMPH ) which lost 36.36% to settle at 2.66 and Aytu BioScience Inc (NASDAQ: AYTU ) which was down 36.14% to 1.2900 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2093 to 999 and 76 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1779 fell and 845 advanced, while 79 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 5.56% to 15.01 a new 3-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.50% or 6.00 to $1207.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 0.07% or 0.05 to hit $74.38 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 0.52% or 0.44 to trade at $84.14 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.05% to 1.1521, while USD/JPY fell 0.20% to 113.66.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.13% at 95.31.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.