The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 1.65% or 1.90 points to trade at 116.86 at the close. Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) added 0.26% or 0.12 points to end at 46.67 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) was up 0.12% or 0.23 points to 190.08 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 2.48% or 3.47 points to trade at 136.35 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 1.54% or 0.88 points to end at 56.27 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) shed 1.46% or 5.48 points to 369.04.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cerner Corporation (NASDAQ: CERN ) which rose 10.30% to 62.97, Monster Beverage Corp (NASDAQ: MNST ) which was up 3.05% to settle at 54.69 and Campbell Soup Company (NYSE: CPB ) which gained 2.49% to close at 39.49.
The worst performers were Pentair PLC (NYSE: PNR ) which was down 13.54% to 39.13 in late trade, Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which lost 4.69% to settle at 20.72 and Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was down 4.52% to 27.24 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were ATA Inc (NASDAQ: ATAI ) which rose 107.84% to 2.120, Command Center Inc (NASDAQ: CCNI ) which was up 35.71% to settle at 5.320 and Sunworks Inc (NASDAQ: SUNW ) which gained 31.81% to close at 0.7500.
The worst performers were Vaxart Inc (NASDAQ: VXRT ) which was down 34.23% to 0.980 in late trade, OUTLOOK THERAPEUTICS INC (NASDAQ: OTLK ) which lost 34.10% to settle at 3.15 and Zosano Pharma Corp (NASDAQ: ZSAN ) which was down 26.75% to 3.670 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2202 to 783 and 110 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1927 fell and 695 advanced, while 87 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 8.42% to 14.29.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.48% or 6.25 to $1308.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 0.26% or 0.17 to hit $64.23 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $70.76 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1264, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 111.14.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.02% at 96.627.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.