The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 1.72% or 2.00 points to trade at 118.00 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 1.15% or 1.05 points to end at 92.41 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) was up 0.98% or 0.43 points to 44.28 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 3.89% or 9.00 points to trade at 222.65 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 3.41% or 4.48 points to end at 126.91 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 2.75% or 1.33 points to 47.11.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Monster Beverage Corp (NASDAQ: MNST ) which rose 4.99% to 56.84, Colgate-Palmolive Company (NYSE: CL ) which was up 4.76% to settle at 63.80 and Range Resources Corporation (NYSE: RRC ) which gained 3.75% to close at 17.70.
The worst performers were Pacific Gas & Electric Co (NYSE: PCG ) which was down 16.49% to 39.92 in late trade, Activision Blizzard Inc (NASDAQ: ATVI ) which lost 12.39% to settle at 55.01 and Edison International (NYSE: EIX ) which was down 12.12% to 61.00 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Novelion Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: NVLN ) which rose 36.80% to 1.710, Twist Bioscience Corp (NASDAQ: TWST ) which was up 31.58% to settle at 25.00 and Pro-Dex Inc (NASDAQ: PDEX ) which gained 30.65% to close at 12.190.
The worst performers were Moneygram Int (NASDAQ: MGI ) which was down 49.22% to 2.27 in late trade, InnerWorkings Inc (NASDAQ: INWK ) which lost 39.77% to settle at 4.24 and Apollo Endosurgery Inc (NASDAQ: APEN ) which was down 33.72% to 3.9500 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2092 to 959 and 101 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1993 fell and 659 advanced, while 71 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.83% to 17.36.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 1.33% or 16.30 to $1209.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 1.37% or 0.83 to hit $59.84 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 1.42% or 1.00 to trade at $69.65 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.25% to 1.1336, while USD/JPY fell 0.23% to 113.80.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.18% at 96.72.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.