U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 1.01%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the Telecoms , Utilities and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 1.01%, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.58%, and the NASDAQ Composite index lost 0.07%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 1.67% or 0.76 points to trade at 46.32 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 0.78% or 0.72 points to end at 92.72 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 0.41% or 0.40 points to 97.19 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which lost 10.18% or 10.67 points to trade at 94.11 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 2.45% or 1.23 points to end at 48.92 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 2.33% or 1.31 points to 54.98.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Noble Energy Inc (NYSE: NBL ) which rose 10.81% to 29.12, Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS ) which was up 5.23% to settle at 26.76 and Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc (NYSE: CMG ) which gained 3.91% to close at 317.57.
The worst performers were Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) which was down 10.18% to 94.11 in late trade, Genuine Parts Company (NYSE: GPC ) which lost 5.17% to settle at 94.67 and Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was down 4.99% to 31.61 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Fogo De Chao Inc (NASDAQ: FOGO ) which rose 23.90% to 15.55, Voyager Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VYGR ) which was up 22.21% to settle at 23.66 and Orexigen Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: OREX ) which gained 18.07% to close at 0.980.
The worst performers were MiMedx Group Inc (NASDAQ: MDXG ) which was down 39.56% to 8.74 in late trade, Ubiquiti Networks Inc (NASDAQ: UBNT ) which lost 25.34% to settle at 55.28 and Adamas Pharma (NASDAQ: ADMS ) which was down 21.85% to 26.39 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2106 to 988 and 114 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1679 fell and 864 advanced, while 114 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 5.70% to 20.57.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.76% or 23.90 to $1332.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.18% or 0.11 to hit $61.66 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.78% or 0.51 to trade at $65.16 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.57% to 1.2336, while USD/JPY rose 0.65% to 107.28.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.63% at 89.64.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or