The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which rose 1.60% or 0.57 points to trade at 36.12 at the close. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) added 0.94% or 1.13 points to end at 121.36 and Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) was up 0.47% or 0.26 points to 55.30 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 2.66% or 9.67 points to trade at 354.42 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 2.42% or 4.94 points to end at 198.97 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 2.30% or 2.77 points to 117.60.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc (NYSE: DVA ) which rose 3.85% to 58.54, American Tower Corp (NYSE: AMT ) which was up 3.32% to settle at 237.84 and Everest Re Group Ltd (NYSE: RE ) which gained 3.07% to close at 241.67.
The worst performers were Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ALXN ) which was down 5.54% to 95.18 in late trade, IPG Photonics Corporation (NASDAQ: IPGP ) which lost 5.23% to settle at 117.26 and Concho Resources Inc (NYSE: CXO ) which was down 5.07% to 69.44 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Abeona Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ABEO ) which rose 90.91% to 2.940, Ardelyx Inc (NASDAQ: ARDX ) which was up 71.18% to settle at 5.82 and Cidara Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: CDTX ) which gained 39.88% to close at 2.35.
The worst performers were CIM Commercial Trust Corp (NASDAQ: CMCT ) which was down 8.78% to 16.420 in late trade, Millendo Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: MLND ) which lost 22.44% to settle at 4.70 and NAPCO Security Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: NSSC ) which was down 21.87% to 26.940 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1876 to 1103 and 62 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1932 fell and 750 advanced, while 62 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.58% to 19.66.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 1.75% or 26.80 to $1556.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 2.09% or 1.15 to hit $53.95 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $58.20 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.0976, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 105.94.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.08% at 98.938.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.