The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which rose 1.28% or 0.69 points to trade at 54.65 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 0.54% or 0.39 points to end at 72.21 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) was up 0.43% or 0.35 points to 81.85 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 3.92% or 5.54 points to trade at 135.80 in late trade. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) declined 2.61% or 3.50 points to end at 130.55 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 2.55% or 4.73 points to 180.44.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Genuine Parts Co (NYSE: GPC ) which rose 5.97% to 100.82, Alliance Data Systems Corp (NYSE: ADS ) which was up 5.51% to settle at 223.11 and Philip Morris International Inc (NYSE: PM ) which gained 3.50% to close at 87.52.
The worst performers were United Rentals Inc (NYSE: URI ) which was down 15.04% to 118.13 in late trade, Textron Inc (NYSE: TXT ) which lost 11.25% to settle at 57.49 and Snap-On Incorporated (NYSE: SNA ) which was down 9.61% to 151.47 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Proteostasis Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PTI ) which rose 447.62% to 10.35, China Ceramics Co Ltd (NASDAQ: CCCL ) which was up 105.03% to settle at 3.6700 and Endocyte Inc (NASDAQ: ECYT ) which gained 50.29% to close at 23.385.
The worst performers were Auris Medical Holding AG (NASDAQ: EARS ) which was down 27.35% to 0.850 in late trade, LM Funding America Inc (NASDAQ: LMFA ) which lost 23.75% to settle at 3.21 and CDTi Advanced Materials Inc (NASDAQ: CDTI ) which was down 23.26% to 1.7114 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2371 to 705 and 84 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1995 fell and 636 advanced, while 79 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 15.29% to 20.06.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.14% or 1.70 to $1229.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 1.52% or 1.06 to hit $68.69 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 0.89% or 0.71 to trade at $79.34 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.39% to 1.1457, while USD/JPY fell 0.43% to 112.19.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.36% at 95.69.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.