The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which rose 0.10% or 0.19 points to trade at 198.27 at the close. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) fell 0.11% or 0.16 points to end at 145.57 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) was down 0.12% or 0.16 points to 132.04 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which lost 4.36% or 2.48 points to trade at 54.35 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 3.53% or 1.71 points to end at 46.76 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 2.87% or 1.54 points to 52.03.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cooper Companies Inc (NYSE: COO ) which rose 3.96% to 297.79, DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH ) which was up 3.88% to settle at 36.11 and Dollar Tree Inc (NASDAQ: DLTR ) which gained 3.34% to close at 101.59.
The worst performers were Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was down 9.32% to 18.68 in late trade, Sysco Corporation (NYSE: SYY ) which lost 7.65% to settle at 68.82 and Mattel Inc (NASDAQ: MAT ) which was down 7.16% to 9.85 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were DelMar Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: DMPI ) which rose 141.42% to 4.080, Stellar Biotechnologies Inc (NASDAQ: SBOT ) which was up 62.50% to settle at 1.950 and AVEO Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: AVEO ) which gained 29.63% to close at 0.8562.
The worst performers were Organovo Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: ONVO ) which was down 31.35% to 0.553 in late trade, CytRx Corp (NASDAQ: CYTR ) which lost 26.05% to settle at 0.380 and XBiotech Inc (NASDAQ: XBIT ) which was down 20.70% to 7.20 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2085 to 923 and 78 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2035 fell and 648 advanced, while 73 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 8.15% to 18.71.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 1.43% or 18.40 to $1305.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 5.69% or 3.22 to hit $53.37 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 5.57% or 3.64 to trade at $61.69 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.44% to 1.1179, while USD/JPY fell 1.19% to 108.30.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.39% at 97.675.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.