The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 0.43% or 1.39 points to trade at 321.00 at the close. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) added 0.33% or 0.21 points to end at 64.63 and Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) was down 0.63% or 0.71 points to 112.98 in late trade.
Biggest losers included DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ), which lost 3.90% or 2.56 points to trade at 63.06 in late trade. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) declined 3.50% or 7.81 points to end at 215.36 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) shed 3.12% or 1.11 points to 34.49.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Foot Locker Inc (NYSE: FL ) which rose 4.44% to 43.74, Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE: NEM ) which was up 3.06% to settle at 38.76 and Cintas Corporation (NASDAQ: CTAS ) which gained 2.91% to close at 167.85.
The worst performers were Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which was down 8.42% to 92.34 in late trade, Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which lost 7.99% to settle at 54.21 and Applied Materials Inc (NASDAQ: AMAT ) which was down 6.07% to 55.38 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were iFresh Inc (NASDAQ: IFMK ) which rose 25.96% to 9.22, Caredx Inc (NASDAQ: CDNA ) which was up 25.75% to settle at 7.520 and Innovate Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: INNT ) which gained 20.20% to close at 25.65.
The worst performers were Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which was down 26.29% to 1.290 in late trade, Ferroglobe PLC (NASDAQ: GSM ) which lost 23.66% to settle at 11.09 and HTG Molecular Diagnostics Inc (NASDAQ: HTGM ) which was down 17.07% to 4.470 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2454 to 641 and 101 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2010 fell and 547 advanced, while 95 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 6.21% to 24.79 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.54% or 20.40 to $1347.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 2.57% or 1.65 to hit $65.95 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 2.35% or 1.62 to trade at $70.53 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.46% to 1.2358, while USD/JPY fell 0.43% to 104.83.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.45% at 89.07.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.