U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 2.59%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Telecoms , Financials and Industrials sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 2.59% to hit a new 1-month low, while the S&P 500 index declined 2.24%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 2.33%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE: XOM ), which fell 0.29% or 0.22 points to trade at 76.72 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) fell 0.37% or 0.59 points to end at 158.95 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) was down 1.01% or 0.83 points to 81.01 in late trade.
Biggest losers included General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ), which lost 4.03% or 0.62 points to trade at 14.63 in late trade. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) declined 3.74% or 3.50 points to end at 90.11 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 3.78% or 5.84 points to 148.50.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which rose 15.70% to 20.23, Viacom B Inc (NASDAQ: VIAB ) which was up 9.28% to settle at 33.34 and Fiserv Inc (NASDAQ: FISV ) which gained 5.16% to close at 135.83.
The worst performers were Hanesbrands Inc (NYSE: HBI ) which was down 9.84% to 19.80 in late trade, Nielsen Holdings (NYSE: NLSN ) which lost 8.49% to settle at 34.37 and Michael Kors Holdings Limited (NYSE: KORS ) which was down 7.76% to 60.98 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Infinera Corporation (NASDAQ: INFN ) which rose 29.57% to 8.94, Virtu Financial Inc (NASDAQ: VIRT ) which was up 28.68% to settle at 25.80 and NXT-ID Inc (NASDAQ: NXTD ) which gained 25.75% to close at 2.5150.
The worst performers were Collectors Universe Inc (NASDAQ: CLCT ) which was down 32.44% to 17.93 in late trade, iRobot Corporation (NASDAQ: IRBT ) which lost 31.62% to settle at 60.20 and Gemphire Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: GEMP ) which was down 29.11% to 6.26 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2590 to 551 and 31 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2023 fell and 509 advanced, while 83 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 14.57% to 31.77.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.39% or 5.10 to $1319.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.81% or 1.12 to hit $60.67 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 1.63% or 1.07 to trade at $64.44 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.04% to 1.2257, while USD/JPY fell 0.48% to 108.85.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.01% at 90.15.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or