Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Technology , Industrials and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Oil & Gas and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which rose 0.51% or 0.63 points to trade at 125.07 at the close. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) added 0.50% or 0.80 points to end at 159.60 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) was up 0.48% or 0.16 points to 33.75 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ), which lost 1.31% or 1.55 points to trade at 117.03 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 0.75% or 0.37 points to end at 48.81 and General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) shed 0.61% or 0.15 points to 24.39.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Motorola Solutions Inc (NYSE: MSI ) which rose 4.00% to 89.44, Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which was up 2.96% to settle at 17.02 and Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which gained 2.86% to close at 15.460.
The worst performers were Costco Wholesale Corporation (NASDAQ: COST ) which was down 5.97% to 157.09 in late trade, CVS Health Corp (NYSE: CVS ) which lost 4.92% to settle at 76.92 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) which was down 4.87% to 73.20 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were LiNiu Technology Group (NASDAQ: LINU ) which rose 115.60% to 2.350, LM Funding America Inc (NASDAQ: LMFA ) which was up 65.38% to settle at 2.58 and Repros Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: RPRX ) which gained 65.47% to close at 0.53.
The worst performers were Net Element Inc (NASDAQ: NETE ) which was down 20.26% to 6.0800 in late trade, Yulong Eco-Materials Ltd (NASDAQ: YECO ) which lost 18.18% to settle at 0.900 and Zion Oil & Gas Inc (NASDAQ: ZN ) which was down 14.63% to 2.800 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1883 to 1178 and 151 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1256 fell and 1240 advanced, while 138 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.68% to 9.62.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.36% or 4.54 to $1277.74 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 2.91% or 1.48 to hit $49.31 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 2.42% or 1.38 to trade at $55.62 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.20% to 1.1735, while USD/JPY fell 0.12% to 112.67.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.15% at 93.63.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.