Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Technology , Basic Materials and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Telecoms , Healthcare and Oil & Gas sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 4.74% or 2.24 points to trade at 49.47 at the close. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) added 2.83% or 4.84 points to end at 176.16 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) was up 2.52% or 3.53 points to 143.44 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which lost 4.07% or 6.87 points to trade at 161.89 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 1.85% or 2.40 points to end at 127.50 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) shed 1.60% or 3.19 points to 196.02.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Align Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ALGN ) which rose 14.70% to 249.47, Lam Research Corp (NASDAQ: LRCX ) which was up 13.90% to settle at 265.60 and O’Reilly Automotive Inc (NASDAQ: ORLY ) which gained 9.18% to close at 437.30.
The worst performers were Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which was down 20.81% to 30.75 in late trade, Alliance Data Systems Corp (NYSE: ADS ) which lost 13.53% to settle at 107.02 and TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which was down 11.65% to 20.68 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Trovagene Inc (NASDAQ: TROV ) which rose 31.76% to 2.240, Vaccinex Inc (NASDAQ: VCNX ) which was up 26.48% to settle at 5.97 and Urban Tea Inc (NASDAQ: MYT ) which gained 24.38% to close at 0.5000.
The worst performers were OpGen Inc (NASDAQ: OPGN ) which was down 55.19% to 1.640 in late trade, Acorda Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ACOR ) which lost 26.06% to settle at 2.00 and Vical Inc (NASDAQ: BBI ) which was down 25.71% to 2.8900 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1534 to 1267 and 136 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1493 fell and 1134 advanced, while 86 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.14% to 13.71.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.73% or 10.95 to $1506.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December rose 0.27% or 0.15 to hit $56.12 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 0.07% or 0.04 to trade at $61.53 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1105, while USD/JPY rose 0.03% to 108.64.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.20% at 97.430.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.