Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Consumer Goods , Utilities and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which rose 2.82% or 4.94 points to trade at 179.85 at the close. Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) added 1.94% or 2.36 points to end at 123.82 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 1.72% or 2.64 points to 155.95 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 7.53% or 12.12 points to trade at 148.79 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 2.16% or 2.82 points to end at 127.72 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) shed 1.94% or 1.31 points to 66.20.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Intuitive Surgical Inc (NASDAQ: ISRG ) which rose 8.17% to 471.03, CSX Corporation (NASDAQ: CSX ) which was up 7.85% to settle at 61.01 and Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which gained 7.15% to close at 36.10.
The worst performers were International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) which was down 7.53% to 148.79 in late trade, Applied Materials Inc (NASDAQ: AMAT ) which lost 5.41% to settle at 54.73 and Juniper Networks Inc (NYSE: JNPR ) which was down 4.05% to 24.38 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were vTv Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VTVT ) which rose 84.87% to 2.20, Izea Inc (NASDAQ: IZEA ) which was up 44.09% to settle at 3.1700 and SAExploration Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which gained 27.21% to close at 1.730.
The worst performers were Onconova Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ONTX ) which was down 24.05% to 0.6000 in late trade, Innovate Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: INNT ) which lost 16.81% to settle at 25.00 and Monaker Group Inc (NASDAQ: MKGI ) which was down 14.33% to 2.8700 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1710 to 1335 and 136 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1249 rose and 1248 declined, while 175 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.49% to 15.63.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.20% or 2.70 to $1352.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 3.44% or 2.29 to hit $68.81 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 3.12% or 2.23 to trade at $73.81 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.06% to 1.2378, while USD/JPY rose 0.21% to 107.23.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.13% at 89.34.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.