U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.21%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Utilities and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Basic Materials , Industrials and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.21%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.14%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 0.03%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which rose 2.52% or 2.39 points to trade at 97.08 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 1.59% or 1.98 points to end at 126.82 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 1.39% or 3.10 points to 226.87 in late trade.
Biggest losers included DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ), which lost 3.67% or 2.32 points to trade at 60.84 in late trade. United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) declined 2.66% or 3.71 points to end at 135.88 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 2.54% or 3.89 points to 149.46.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which rose 4.28% to 4.870, Pioneer Natural Resources Company (NYSE: PXD ) which was up 3.34% to settle at 187.92 and MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM ) which gained 3.29% to close at 27.34.
The worst performers were PPG Industries Inc (NYSE: PPG ) which was down 10.06% to 98.56 in late trade, Packaging Corp of America (NYSE: PKG ) which lost 8.13% to settle at 93.14 and WestRock Co (NYSE: WRK ) which was down 7.90% to 45.25 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Youngevity International Inc (NASDAQ: YGYI ) which rose 66.01% to 10.160, One Horizon Group Inc (NASDAQ: OHGI ) which was up 65.25% to settle at 0.3900 and Agile Thrpe (NASDAQ: AGRX ) which gained 53.71% to close at 0.71.
The worst performers were Trevena Inc (NASDAQ: TRVN ) which was down 64.09% to 1.07 in late trade, Arbutus Biopharma Corp (NASDAQ: ABUS ) which lost 33.99% to settle at 6.000 and Affimed NV (NASDAQ: AFMD ) which was down 24.41% to 3.500 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1671 to 1390 and 103 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1579 fell and 1050 advanced, while 90 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.06% to 16.17 a new 3-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.38% or 4.50 to $1193.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 0.54% or 0.40 to hit $74.69 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 1.08% or 0.91 to trade at $84.82 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1496, while USD/JPY fell 0.23% to 112.97.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.10% at 95.34.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or