U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.24%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Monday, as gains in the Utilities , Consumer Services and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.24%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.24%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 0.13%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 1.26% or 0.69 points to trade at 55.44 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 0.91% or 2.22 points to end at 244.95 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) was up 0.73% or 0.54 points to 74.31 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which lost 3.49% or 4.42 points to trade at 122.19 in late trade. Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) declined 1.94% or 1.56 points to end at 78.71 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 1.17% or 1.85 points to 155.85.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Foot Locker Inc (NYSE: FL ) which rose 20.16% to 55.74, Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (NYSE: DGX ) which was up 4.88% to settle at 105.81 and Lennar Corp B (NYSE: LENb ) which gained 3.86% to close at 43.09.
The worst performers were Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was down 14.57% to 28.15 in late trade, Ross Stores Inc (NASDAQ: ROST ) which lost 6.77% to settle at 77.34 and DXC Technology Co (NYSE: DXC ) which was down 5.51% to 94.21 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were VistaGen Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VTGN ) which rose 51.55% to 1.470, Adomani Inc (NASDAQ: ADOM ) which was up 50.46% to settle at 1.64 and Pyxis Tankers Inc (NASDAQ: PXS ) which gained 21.30% to close at 1.3100.
The worst performers were Tintri Inc (NASDAQ: TNTR ) which was down 40.60% to 0.35 in late trade, Comstock Holding Companies Inc (NASDAQ: CHCI ) which lost 22.91% to settle at 3.970 and ProPhase Labs Inc (NASDAQ: PRPH ) which was down 19.44% to 3.190 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 101 to 85 and 15 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 0 fell and 0 advanced on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 5.51% to 13.22.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.48% or 6.20 to $1297.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 2.08% or 1.41 to hit $66.47 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 1.49% or 1.14 to trade at $75.33 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.21% to 1.1626, while USD/JPY rose 0.05% to 109.43.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.16% at 94.36.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or