Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Consumer Services and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Consumer Goods and Telecoms sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which rose 1.90% or 3.10 points to trade at 166.41 at the close. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) added 0.76% or 0.86 points to end at 113.63 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 0.63% or 1.40 points to 222.19 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 2.13% or 1.00 points to trade at 45.91 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 1.44% or 3.85 points to end at 263.51 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 1.36% or 1.15 points to 83.12.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were CF Industries Holdings Inc (NYSE: CF ) which rose 2.74% to 54.26, Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC ) which was up 2.71% to settle at 314.41 and Concho Resources Inc (NYSE: CXO ) which gained 2.64% to close at 150.95.
The worst performers were CenturyLink Inc (NYSE: CTL ) which was down 8.08% to 21.05 in late trade, Microchip Technology Incorporated (NASDAQ: MCHP ) which lost 4.29% to settle at 78.77 and General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) which was down 4.00% to 11.27 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Jaguar Health Inc (NASDAQ: JAGX ) which rose 158.46% to 1.680, Optical Cable Corporation (NASDAQ: OCC ) which was up 30.95% to settle at 5.500 and Oasmia Pharmaceutical AB (NASDAQ: OASM ) which gained 29.53% to close at 4.650.
The worst performers were SAExploration Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which was down 51.76% to 13.850 in late trade, TG Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TGTX ) which lost 44.32% to settle at 5.15 and FlexShopper Inc (NASDAQ: FPAY ) which was down 37.10% to 1.170 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1666 to 1372 and 123 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1276 fell and 1271 advanced, while 160 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.38% to 12.49.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.10% or 1.20 to $1205.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 0.33% or 0.24 to hit $72.32 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 0.82% or 0.66 to trade at $81.19 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.15% to 1.1767, while USD/JPY rose 0.12% to 112.94.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.14% at 93.72.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.