Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Telecoms , Technology and Financials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Consumer Goods , Basic Materials and Utilities sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 2.26% or 1.17 points to trade at 52.92 at the close. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) added 1.34% or 2.43 points to end at 183.33 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 1.18% or 2.60 points to 222.03 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 4.48% or 6.19 points to trade at 131.91 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 3.12% or 11.64 points to end at 361.43 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 1.52% or 3.88 points to 251.13.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Navient Corp (NASDAQ: NAVI ) which rose 10.15% to 15.09, Edwards Lifesciences Corp (NYSE: EW ) which was up 9.94% to settle at 214.88 and WW Grainger Inc (NYSE: GWW ) which gained 9.07% to close at 304.07.
The worst performers were Amphenol Corporation (NYSE: APH ) which was down 6.08% to 92.38 in late trade, Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC ) which lost 5.94% to settle at 184.99 and FLIR Systems Inc (NASDAQ: FLIR ) which was down 4.86% to 52.04 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were SigmaTron International Inc (NASDAQ: SGMA ) which rose 39.25% to 3.690, Jiayin Group Inc (NASDAQ: JFIN ) which was up 26.94% to settle at 15.36 and Nuvectra Corp (NASDAQ: NVTR ) which gained 26.70% to close at 2.61.
The worst performers were Obalon Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: OBLN ) which was down 40.41% to 0.57 in late trade, Regulus Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: RGLS ) which lost 34.82% to settle at 0.743 and Pluristem Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PSTI ) which was down 25.08% to 0.4260 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2150 to 847 and 98 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1866 rose and 794 declined, while 87 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.28% to 12.07 a new 3-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.31% or 4.45 to $1426.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September fell 1.53% or 0.87 to hit $55.90 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $63.12 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.04% to 1.1143, while USD/JPY fell 0.04% to 108.12.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 97.362.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.